Last night was the Tennessee Valley Community Garden Association‘s 2nd Annual Seed Celebration, in partnership with the Greene Street Market at Nativity and benefiting the Sand Mountain Seed Bank. The event was a resounding success again this year. People enjoyed the buffet provided by local businesses with live music before the keynote speaker took the stage. Jeannine Windham of New South Associates discussed the prehistoric and historic food ways of the southeastern United States. Finally, the raffle prizes were drawn: a mounted canvas from local artist Ian McAlister and a large matted photograph from Finch Hollow Photography.
And all through the night the seed swap room was open. In addition to the seeds brought by individual gardeners and this blog’s donation of Recession Gold tomato seeds, the Sand Mountain Seed Bank shared seeds and there were donations from Sow True Seed and Peaceful Valley via Deep Roots of Alabama. I may have missed some seed donors since I was busy helping out, but named or not their donations were appreciated and all were taken home by gardeners and would-be gardeners. (And if you know of any, please tell me so I can add them!)
Seed swaps are all about connecting with your fellow gardeners, making relationships and sharing our food heritage. Please join us next year in late winter for the 3rd Annual Seed Celebration.
- To the volunteers that planned the event, set up the room, carried in clean dishes and carried out the dirty ones, cleaned up the room and did whatever needed to be done
- The Church of the Nativity for again providing a great venue
- Rosita’s Farm for providing the edible table decor (all of which went home to be eaten)
- Blue Pants Brewery in Madison and Southern Oak Wines in Anniston for the adult beverages
- Piper & Leaf (formerly Samovar Gardens) for the tasty flavored teas
- Local restaurants who donated food: 1892 East, Carlton’s, Chef Will, Fred Bread, Mama Annie’s and Sandwich Farm
- And last but not least, local purveyors that donated desserts: Belle Chevre, Happy Tummy and Sweet Thang